25.8.06

We ALL Made it!! (thanks Dad)

First: Finish reading The Jill Carroll Story. Some people have told me they were confused at the sight. You go over the right and start at the begining. After that, check out THIS. Trust me. It will make you smile.
Now that that's out of the way... Yep! I'm in Mexico! Things here are very very different. Somethings are worse (ie: the slums on the hill) and some things are better (ie: our Wal-Mart and Soriana). Soriana is this AMAZing grocery type store. Their bakery/pastery section is unbelieveable. Plus they have all these novel (to me at least) types of produce--such as an entire section devoted to different kinds of peppers. I could go on and on about Soriana's (they sell a TON of gouda by the way). Our Wal-Mart blows any stateside Wal-Mart out of the water because of one simple fact and that is that they MAKE handmade (is that redundant) tortillas right there were you can see them do it! Flour and corn, it just depends when you're there. Personally, I love the flour ones. I still haven't found someone who will bring toritillas to our house but I haven't given up yet either. I know they're out there somewhere.
Speaking of our house... It's ridiculously ugly. So ugly that it's cute. In an ugly little man sort of way. Where to start? Our entire place is tiled--tile which is of course, ugly, and flows seamlessly out our front door to where we park our car. Inside there are oh-so-lovely peach curtains on everyone of our large, barred windows. I worried at first about what we would do if there was a fire with our windows being barred and all. But then Ty reminded me that the entire place is built of cinderblocks and each room also has a door leading outside. We have a living room complete with futon, a dining room with a table, eight chairs, and a china cabinet (oh yeah, there's china in it). The kitchen has no windows, a tiny fridge and gas stove that must be lite with matches. I admit I was nervous at first, but I've gotten the hang of it. We have a closet that is shaped as if it were under some stairs (there are no stairs). This closet is tiled and has a towel rack, a soap dish and a toilet-paper-holder-thing. Fun. Our actual bathroom has a gate on the outside of the door that slides along the hallway to either open or close (this all sounds crazy). In all, our home lacks no character, only carpet.
I like living here. Today, Tyler, Mack and I took ourselves on a walking tour of downtown Monterrey and checked out a large Mall nearby (to get out of the heat). Peanut Butter is expensive here and they don't sell plain Amonia (for cleaning). The roads are confusing at first and everywhere we go people ooh and ahh over little Mackers, who takes it all in stride. He doesn't seem to mind the heat one bit and continues to be very laid back, just like his dad. Instead of eating this morning he decided to tell me a story. He's learning new sounds and wishes he could crawl. I think he might be bored with his bouncy chair and we're considering getting him a good ol' fashioned walker (deemed too dangerous in the States, but they sell a bunch down here). I don't know if this post has made any sense, but I'm sure it will all become more clear in the coming weeks. We've been so busy lately. I'll be sure to post some more pictures soon.

To hold over anyone who happens to look at this ol' blog of mine...Here is the picture that first enticed Tyler to check this place out.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Fern. Love the post. It was good to talk to you the other day. I'm down here in utah with the fam. Picked up Kori and Angela and we're trying to decide what fun things to do. The pictures of your house actually look pretty good. Not as ugly as I thought. Can't wait to see it in real life!

    ReplyDelete