11.1.05

Karl my Kaptin

WOW! Reading Lolita in Tehran is really coming along. I passed the half way point last night. Here's a little tip for all you out there who wish you could find more time to indulge yourself in a good book= Take Public Transportation. It's amazing what you can get done when you sitting on a Bus and at transfer stations for over an hour. When I was a kid in Germany I used to have to ride the bus one hour each way to and from school. I know it sounds like one of those "I walked uphill through a blizzard" stories, but its true. We had a really friendly Bus Driver named Karl. He spoke about as much English as I spoke German, so we got along swell. Now my mom hangs a huge picture he gave us of him with my brothers and sisters and me in our house. I think I can trace my love affair with public transportation back to those days in the Rhineland.

4 comments:

  1. fern, you're funny. Well, I'd try public transportation, but my bike is about the only accessible thing right now. I do enjoy riding buses though. I used to ride the bus a lot when I was a kid too. Maybe there's some weird connection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fern-- your educational use of leisure time is impressive! Dang chica! 1/2 a book in one day? I want to hear all about it. I miss being able to sit and talk about history or movies with you at your cozy e-11 apartment. And I could totally picture you and Karl on the bus in Germany-- you really are one-of-a-kind, Fern!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fern: Can you critique the Lolita book for us? I'm quite interested in your book selections. Is Karl's picture on the family portrait wall because his name starts with "K"? My name starts with "K" and I don't see my mug shot on the family portrait wall. What's with that......? Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to call you but it's only 9:30 there and you're probably at work. . . :( I miss my ferny-pants! Ha!

    ReplyDelete